For The Community
There is real enthusiasm in the Leafield community for cultural and social events. People have been keen to visit biennial art exhibitions in the church, and the highly successful Christmas Fayres have been held in the church since 2005. The events of the 2008 Leafield Arts Festival took place mainly in the church.
St Michael's has a wonderful atmosphere, even grandeur - but because of its current layout and defects, all such events involve huge amounts of additional planning and effort.
Restoration would make a special landmark building safe and sound.
- Create a more sympathetic place for the important rituals of baptism, marriage and funerals, and for quiet prayer and reflection
- Transform the space into an attractive resource for villagers and others in the surrounding area.
We do not need to change the essential character of the building. Nor are we competing with the village hall. This is an excellent resource for sport, large dance events and those gatherings which would be less suited to the church. the two buildings naturally complement each other.
Renewal would mean that the church and the village would be intergrated - we know that once people feel comfortable and engaged inside the church, they return. The church and the beliefs for which it stands would be in the center of village life.
Who would benifit?
- The School
- Guides and Youth Groups
- Small group meetings - for social, educational or organizational purposes
- Musicians, singers, concertgoers and lecturers
- Visual artists
- Those attending weddings, baptisms and funerals
- The congregration and clergy
- Villagers of all ages